Breachlan 13 - Feedback Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
We asked you guys for your feedback from Breachlan 13. And you didnt dissappoint. There were four main points that came up we would like to address.

We have had a meeting and talked about what you guys said and are ready to act on it.

Internet access

This is a tricky one. It is a LAN party after all and shouldn't require internet access to function. However more and more games are changing, requiring internet access to operate fully. Wheather this means the ability to connect to lobbies, access perks or unlocks or even just to launch the games.

In the past we have either provided no internet access, or provided access via a 3g modem and applied some strict firewall rules to ensure that the connection is always available. At Breachlan 12 we did not apply any firewall rules whatsoever and the end result was a connection that was constantly under stress and came extremely close to being cut off. But at B-13 we applied the usual firewall rules but that left us with some problems with certain games, even though Steam had no firewall rules attached to it.

We absolutely did not apply any firewall rules whatsoever to Steam. But there were still a few connection problems resulting in a cancelled L4D2 tournament. And we can only apologise for that.

Part of the problem was the Star Trek Online release the weekend of Breachlan 13. The steam servers were under full load for the entire weekend and even just logging in on a dedicated DSL line was slow.

Our solution to this problem, is a new firewall server. We have invested in a new dual core x64 server which will become among other things our new firewall. This will allow us to have several USB dongles all load balanced to hopefully provide good internet access. We will be relaxing the firewall rules to allow greater access to instant messaging services and other things. We are also revising our advice to set Steam to offline mode before the LAN.

High bandwidth websites will still be blocked (Things like youtube) but hopefully fewer firewall rules should allow more things to work with fewer problems.

The Breach Shop

At Breachlan 12 we had a shop available selling drinks and snacks. But it wasn't widely used and it only just broke even with a last minute firesale to clear out the remaining stock. This was something I personally undertook with no Breachlan funding or backing. I personally carried all the risk of failure with Breachlan stood to make all the profit should it have made a profit. Given this, I decided not to re-run the shop at B-13 or again until the event expands to have more customers.

There will be no tuck shop available at Breachlan 14. However at Breachlan 15 we are currently looking into having a licenced bar at the LAN selling cold beer and cider. More news on this when we have it but we are expecting prices to be between £2 and £2.50 for a pint of cold beer or cider served in a pint glass.

Volume of music

There was a few people who have said the volume of the music was sometimes too loud. The other feedback that has been recieved about the music has been universally positive with people generally saying it adds to the atmosphere and makes things more relaxed. The choice of music has also been given universal praise with requests coming thick and fast keeping things going.

The music volume was really as low as it could go. The amplifier was as low as I could possibly turn it and the volume on all the mixers was so low that putting them any lower would mean the static from the power supply was louder than the music.

So to counter that I'l be adjusting the locations of the speakers next time to hopefully keep the volume a little lower for the people sitting closest to the speakers.

Variety of Games

Not a lot we can help you with on this one. We provide all the infastructure you need to arrange and play anything you want to. It relies exlcusively on you guys posting online in advance saying what you would like to play and getting the games installed in advance. We will provided dedicated servers for whatever you want to play. Just let us know.

Other Relevant News

The timelapse camera will be making a comeback for future events. So keep this in mind when picking your seats. It will be in HD next time as well.

As already mentioned, we are officially revising our advice on taking Steam offline before the event. Unfortunately this is dependant on Valve not releasing updates to their games the night before the LAN. Steam backups will be available for most titles but please do install everything you want beforehand becaue anyone found downloading games on Steam will be tarred and feathered. And turned into furry meat.

MadmaN

awsome news guys :) .. could u guys run a dedicated q3 server foe me for my 1v1 needs lol.... also if anyone wants youtube they can use my dongle.. its pay as you go and has no risk of problems.. will just run out when bandwidth is used lol .. one more thing what about american soda website getting used again???

Sinner

There was a small accident which occurred at B-13 where there was some damage done in the back cupboard and to the kitchen. Unfortunately, the scouts were not impressed and we have had to work hard to repair the damage caused and as such we will be locking the kitchen door for future events. We will be moving the kettle and microwave out into the hall for you guys to continue using but unfortunately the kitchen is now be off limits.

this is a bit of a let down, having the fridge made the lan better for me as i like my cold food and i take care to not to mess anything up in there as food is needed for survival at lan.

buttttt its a place we are borrowing from someone else so what ever is needed for us to continue using the place fair enough.

SocksFoHands

Internet wise I would be happy with MSN and forums. It's nice to take a few breaks from gaming to read the news or something. Blocking youtube seems like a sensible action and anyone who comes to a LAN without their games installed and doesn't at least have the common sense to get backups from the guy next to them deserves more than a tarring and feathering.

I'm sad about the death of the shop but since Greg took it all on with his own money we can't expect him to do it if he doesn't want to. And like sinner I would like use of a fridge if you can wangle it but if not I suppose we can always get staff to put stuff in for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom