BreachLAN #17 - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Castiana

Soon™
Thanks to all for attending BreachLAN #17!

As normal, your feedback is always welcome. Post it in this thread.

We want to say a special thank you to Amsey and Hexxy for staying back at the end to help us tidy up.

Will

The Good
- Having an extra day really made me appreciate the diversity of games and get to know people a lot better.
- Decision to use Papa John's was amazing, considering how little the pizzas cost, coupled with how damn good they were.
- The place definitely seemed warmer (to me, at least) than last time; that's probably because of the weather though.
- Casting of the final 3 SC2 matches by Greg, although not many folk seemed interested. :p
- No power outage!

The Bad
- The gaming didn't feel as structed as it could have been with regards to activities encouraging everyone to play. I would've liked to see another DEFCON tourney, for example. That said, I know it can be very hard for the organizers to get all of this going, so there's that.
- No receptacle for cigarette ends, so they were just hap-hazardly strewn about the place. Picking them up at the end sucked.
- From what I could tell, the chipper order wasn't handled particularly well. In the event that it happens again, phoning ahead to let them know the big order is coming, and a designated driver, would be a very good idea. Also getting the money beforehand.

The Ugly
- The state the kitchen was left in.
- Pizza boxes everywhere.
- The cluster of fecal matter left in one of the toilets that wouldn't flush which was not owned up to and had to be resolved by an unfortunate volunteer.

Overall, I enjoyed the LAN. The above are just little nit-picks. :3

ZeroG

The Good
- Having an extra day really made me appreciate the diversity of games and get to know people a lot better.
- Decision to use Papa John's was amazing, considering how little the pizzas cost, coupled with how damn good they were.
- The place definitely seemed warmer (to me, at least) than last time; that's probably because of the weather though.
- Casting of the final 3 SC2 matches by Greg, although not many folk seemed interested. :p
- No power outage!

The Bad
- The gaming didn't feel as structed as it could have been with regards to activities encouraging everyone to play. I would've liked to see another DEFCON tourney, for example. That said, I know it can be very hard for the organizers to get all of this going, so there's that.
- No receptacle for cigarette ends, so they were just hap-hazardly strewn about the place. Picking them up at the end sucked.
- From what I could tell, the chipper order wasn't handled particularly well. In the event that it happens again, phoning ahead to let them know the big order is coming, and a designated driver, would be a very good idea. Also getting the money beforehand.

The Ugly
- The cluster of fecal matter left in one of the toilets that wouldn't flush which was not owned up to and had to be resolved by an unfortunate volunteer.

To be fair the chipper run wasn't a lan organised thing. Dave was going and the amount of orders just grew from there.

BLACKALiCE

The Bad
I totally get you on that one, I think we'll have to talk about that behind the scenes, and see what we can do
Easy fix, we'll get that sorted
Not our fault, as ZeroG said ;)

The Ugly
We kinda need to get every one involved in that, in my opinion.
On the plus side, there was also tasty, tasty pizza everywhere. But yeah, again good point.
That was not mine.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Will

To be fair the chipper run wasn't a lan organised thing. Dave was going and the amount of orders just grew from there.
Oh, totally. Had that pointed out to me. Frankly I feel bad for Dave for having that piled onto him. D:

BlitzThose

there was a small cardboard box next to the door that was being used as such, at least I was using it and also at one point I picked up roughly 40 fag ends that were on the ground and put them in said box.

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
I basically enjoyed everything, especially SC2 - I missed that game!

Dave did a great job with the Chipper run, it's really hard to handle more than a few orders and he did really well! (Thanks Dave!)

Great to see you all again and it was great to meet some new faces too!

Bloodnok

The Good:

Best BreachLAN in a long time.

The weather.

For once, taking spare cables paid off. (but forgetting some of my own didn't help)

The Bad:

Taking on the chippy order, (it was only meant to be a few guys, not the whole lan...)

The Ugly:

The cluster of fecal matter left in one of the toilets that wouldn't flush which was not owned up to and had to be resolved by an unfortunate volunteer.

Unfortunate volunteer? I did what no one wanted to do and showed that turd who was the BOSS!!!

Next time who ever dumped it, sort it out yourself... This isn't British Rail...

grogers126

Sniper
well cant say much as it was my first lan so got nothing to ompare to but i really enjoyed it thanks here are a couple of my thoughts

1:games structure (i felt too many players playing different games dident give off a paticular togetherness atmosphere)

2:would of been nice seeing winners etc of tourneys recieve something.(i may be able to help with this in future)

3:pizza run was excellent

4:chipper run was really good just sorry for dave being stuck with it as a last minute thing.

5:for first timers would be good to be introduced to organises , staff etc

Madfanta

First off awesome LAN. Definitely one of the best so far

The Good
Great Atmosphere throughout the LAN
Good tournament prizes (Especially Scott buying a hundred quids worth of gummy worm lol)
The chippy order thanks again Dave... thought you were gonna lose the plot with all the orders haha
Managed to grab a geocache on saturday due to the stunning weather
Got to know a few new people

The Bad
No yeehaw :( im aware its a LAN though so not that fussed

The Ugly
One Word: Turdzilla

Everlong

Hey all,

thanks so much for a tremendous LAN. I really enjoyed the whole weekend and was gutted about having to leave early and missing out the final evenings fun!

The good:

Atmosphere
Organisation
Being made to feel very welcome and offered constant help with my nOObness!
SC2!!!!!!!!!!!
The people sitting around me, on my table!! What a laugh!!
Stealing Sock's tactics in RedAlert tourney!

The bad:

Not knowing how to eject my driver out the windscreen in Flatout2!!!! (my fault ofc!)
Not being able to use Sock's tactics in RedAlert tourney! >.<

The ugly:

Noticing that the creater of 'Turdzilla' had only used 2 sheets to wipe ... nothing of that magnitude could ever possibly have been 'addressed' with only 2 sheets!!

SocksFoHands

For me,

The good:

The WINNING!
Some nice prizes at the tourneys, kudos to Greg and Scott. The tourneys in general were good fun.
New faces at the lan, always good, the new people were good fun and the crack was great. Hope they come back.
The pizzas were great again.
Good music for the most part.
Great atmosphere too, was the funnest lan for a while.
Internet for all with no annoying blocks this time, that was great.
Scotts new switch certainly sped things up a lot.
The staff in general put a lot of graft in to make sure things went smoothly, I was never left waiting for help to get in games. Harry and Greg in particular probably spent more time helping people than playing games themselves.

The bad:

Place was in the middle of nowhere, hard to find, hard to get out of and no easy access to shops.
No tuckshops, bacon rolls. The fact that there were no shops was made kinda worse by the fact the only food or drink on offer other than the stuff you brought yourself was one pizza order on the second night. Needs moar food orders.
Game variety, there was talk of rainbow six and some other stuff but we couldn't seem to get it together so the same old games got played again. I realize we have some LAN staples that will always take priority but we can mix it up a bit guys.

The ugly:

The infamous turdzilla, how about a courtesy flush next time from whoever did that?
My car now stinks of fish from half a dozen chip suppers.

MadmaN

Best LAN in a long time... Enjoyed myself much more than last LAN in this hall... Weather was better and I was supplied with more booze haha.

The Good ---

- Great Atmosphere
- The Red Alert 2 Tourney in name of my brother - Thanks Guys .. I'm sure he was watching over and loved it :)
- The Usual UT2004 Funny Name Changes --- This was Epic LOLZ - Sion's Virginity Killed Justin Bebier?
- New Friends :)
- The Epic hunt for a geocache lol - still 2 more to find.. next LAN maybe.
- Internet Access

The Bad ---

- No Console Corner =[
- The Pizza was over cooked :/ mine seemed burnt.. so I never enjoyed it so much...
- No Tuck Shop - I Could have used this many a time this LAN lol
- The Doors was shut at some point for some reason and the hall was cooking :/
- No Quake 3 Played :D
- All The Snoring :D was hard to get to sleep at times lol

The Ugly ---

- Turdzilla - NOT MINE OK? LOL - I Would be Proud of that monster and own up lol
- Neds just walking into the hall and driving around being a pain in the ass.

Final Conclusion --

Just Thought how about the return of the raffle tickets?
Overall Had a Great LAN and looking forward to my next... but looks like i can't make 18 as it's my m8's stag do.

Cerridwen

The bad:

Place was in the middle of nowhere, hard to find, hard to get out of and no easy access to shops.

Middle of no where, yes its 5 miles from Inverurie but its the only place in Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire that would take us on having been let down by the scout hall too many times! but we do have Broadband here which the old venue would not let us have installed.
I lost count the number of trips I made into Inverurie, but I did offer places and they were generally filled by people.

No tuckshops, bacon rolls. The fact that there were no shops was made kinda worse by the fact the only food or drink on offer other than the stuff you brought yourself was one pizza order on the second night. Needs moar food orders.

Tried this before and was left with more debt that you know... very few used it, so wasnt worth running. Frankly I still have Coke left over from #17 in Nov! and a heck of a lot was drank at christmas and new year.

Madfanta

Tried this before and was left with more debt that you know... very few used it, so wasnt worth running

I would have used it more last time but i didn't even know there was gonna be one and due to the fact of it not being within the radius of walking distance for shops i lended up bringing too much and was finding it difficult to get through my own stuff alone but if you were to do one next time post on forums beforehand with a tuck shop list and i won't buy as much. Not only are the drinks cold but i'd be helping with the BreachLAN funds which i'll happily do :)

SocksFoHands

I would have used it more last time but i didn't even know there was gonna be one and due to the fact of it not being within the radius of walking distance for shops i lended up bringing too much and was finding it difficult to get through my own stuff alone but if you were to do one next time post on forums beforehand with a tuck shop list and i won't buy as much. Not only are the drinks cold but i'd be helping with the BreachLAN funds which i'll happily do :)

This seems to be the problem, we never know in advance when you're doing it. If I knew there was going to be stuff to buy there it's a service I would take advantage of rather than having to drink warm coke I bought three days ago at tesco.

Top Bottom