New PC

themast

Self Proclaimed God
So the other day my GPU died. :( RIP! Good news is that its spurred me on to buy a whole new rig. Being tech geeks i couldnt not ask what the people of breachlan think is good and bad on the market right now. my budget is about £1000.Not sure if i should build it myself as i wouldnt have much of an idea how to do it.

Ideas?

sirflukesalot

SEND IN MORE CONSCRIPTS!
build it yerself man even i managed to do it first try without breaking something ;)
if you are worried get something like scansure(assuming you decide to buy yer stuff from scan.co.uk ) which covers you if you happen to manage to break anything when putting to together(or its already broken from transit)
the only thing that held me up was where the power button/reset button etc. connections were, but as they say google is your friend
i cant offer much in the way of parts advice though not really clued into whats better than what and why

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
I can help you assemble and spec it Mr Mast!

Best port of call is to look at the famous Tom's hardware as they do a monthly best CPU and best GPU for the money.

If you are happy with your monitors and case etc then really for a decent spec machine you'll have loads of change from a grand :)

Castiana

Soon™
Pretty much what Dex has said!

Personally, I always order from Scan (scan.co.uk). Never had a problem with them (Unlike OCUK, many many many issues with them), plus their normally cheaper than OCUK/Aria.

themast

Self Proclaimed God
Ok so shoving reason out the window i've compiled a list of some high end tech. Sorry for all the questions i'm about to ask. I think everything fits. Would someone be so kind and look it over incase i've missed anything. ie making sure the CPU fits in the mobo etc. Only the PSU on that list i'm not sure about. I havent a clue on whether i should get modular or not. Whatever is the easiest to install i suppose. Also would a 700W PSU be enough? All my fans still work and i assume i can use my old water cooler again.

Cheers.

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/f027c8a7-feed-409c-b35c-7225a743e94a

sirflukesalot

SEND IN MORE CONSCRIPTS!
you've missed hard drives
that cpu/mobo combo i believe would work
if you are going to use you're old water cooler you will need some thermal paste such as: this
and you will need to give the bottom contact plate a clean beforehand

ZeroG

It's a pity it died so soon. Skylake is coming out soon. Also do you really need an i7? Not much use for gaming tbh until DX12 takes hold.

themast

Self Proclaimed God
Perhaps i should just buy the GPU now fit that in and the rest in august when skylake is released.

Castiana

Soon™
Never buy the first release of new hardware, it's always full of bugs :)

Wait till revision 2. Or go with an i5, and buy me a GTX980 Ti :D

ZeroG

Perhaps i should just buy the GPU now fit that in and the rest in august when skylake is released.

What I was meaning was there's always some price drops when the new hardware comes out. If you can wait a bit longer you could get a saving on what you were going for. It just depends on how badly you want to upgrade now :)

Top Bottom