Rooting Android

Blackice

So I know that at least some of you out there have Android and then a few of those have rooted it, anyone recommend a specific firmware to install, been looking at CyanogenMod, any other good ones?

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
What phone do you have? There's a lot of roms out there that are phone-model specific.

Blackice

I only have a HTC Sensation, which as far as I am aware unfortunately is not supported on CyanogenMod10 yet :(

.AC.

I have a Samsung galaxy S II, and using cyanogen mod 9 slowly became unbearable.

Battery Life became 12 hours after about 3 months of having it. (battery recognises as androidos as taking most of my battery up)
Could never get MMS working, despite the various hot fixes
After the same 3 months, the phone kept on losing all signal (+ emergency signal) until I restarted the phone.

It was very quick and I loved it for the three months it was running fine for. But since these are pretty big issues for me, I flashed back to stock touchwiz (which isn't all that bad), and most of the problems have been fixed. (My battery is not as good as it once was, and I've permanently lost the ability to autoupdate via kies)

.AC.

I have to clarify, that peoples experiences with CM9 have been generally positive across all devices, as it can make the less powerful devices a fair bit more responsive. But since I find touchwiz and the default ROM for the GSII is actually not that bad (just a little bloated), I'm staying put. My advice is to Root your device and put a new launcher on it to begin with (like GO Launcher, if it takes your fancy), if you still demand more out of your device, and want to try different things, then there isn't much hurt in trying CM9/10 for a bit, and seeing how you get along with it.

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
It's worth bearing in mind that rooting your device come with the possibility of voiding your warrenty, you have been warned :)

.AC.

Didn't think a new thread was necessary.. I made the choice to go to cyanogen mod 10.1 again.. I found out I have a brick bug which means if I was on a specific official Samsung kernel (which I was) my next factory reset had a high chance of bricking my phone. JOY.

Cyanogenmod 10.1 is great (which I guess is because of JellyBean). But I can't send/recieve mms again :(, anyone here with CM experience?

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
I was running CM10 on my TF201 for a while, back on Asus JB release although it's been highly tweaked. Cannot comment on MMS as I am on CM7.2 due to running an older phone which still rocks thanks to Cyanogen mod.

Are you sure you have the correct MMS settings for your network?

Top Bottom