BIG GAME VOTING

What big games would you like to play at Breach29.

• Team Fortress 2 (Regular AND Prophunt) - FREE

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Grand Theft Auto 4

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Call of Duty 4

• Chivalry : Medieval Warfare

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Artemis

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Left 4 Dead 2 (Modded for 32 Players)

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Unreal Tournament 2004

• Battlefield 1942 - FREE

• Sven Coop - FREE

• CounterStrike : Global Offensive

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
Ladies and gents.

Here is the vote with all the "BIG GAME" choices. These are all based on nominations we had in the first thread.

You get only one vote so make it count. The winning 5 games will make up our big games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights and Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Please make sure you have as many of these games as possible, it really would be sweet if we could get almost everybody joining in some big games together.

If you are thinking "Hold on, I nominated games that aren't on the poll" - This is becasue some of them were 8 or 10 players only, some don't have dedicated servers and would have everybody playing on the internet, and some were Xbox games to be played on one console, and some we just didn't have space for on the list, so we picked the ones likely to be owned by more people.

Get voting. It closes just after 6pm the Friday before the LAN.

Thanks.

themast

Self Proclaimed God
yeh i kinda want to change my vote now. didnt vote for tf2 as i thought others would

T

trkevig

is it possible to vote more than once ? Ive voted for TF2 but i would have also like to have voted for gta 4, chivalry, left for dead, and counter strike. Ive never played LFD at a lan before and think that could be a lot of fun.

I'd also like to add, now that we all pretty much have some super dooper pcs... how about upgrading some of the games we play? COD4 looks awful nowadays. The Stonehaven map on Ghosts should become the lan map to play ;)
Also Unreal Tournament 3 looks a lot better than ut2k4.... but that game you have where we try to capture the beer place in UT2k4 is a serious amount of fun so id like to see that stay. BF1942 was a lot of fun back in its day but again i played that recently when it went free and OMG that killed all the great memories i had of the game - its awful now. Better off with a lan of BF3 or BF4 if it supports it.

Thats just my tuppence and ill go with the flow. Each lan im joining in more games as im finding that being the cannon fodder for you lot can be just as much fun as winning.... which i dont think i ever do... except for that one time i won tiger woods.... oh and almost EVERY F1 game :p lol

Cant wait for 29.

T

trkevig

ah... helps if i read the 1st post... i blame being up too early on a sunday.... i thought i was still in the other post about MOAR games..... maybe its old age....

themast

Self Proclaimed God
I'd also like to add, now that we all pretty much have some super dooper pcs... how about upgrading some of the games we play? COD4 looks awful nowadays. The Stonehaven map on Ghosts should become the lan map to play ;)Also Unreal Tournament 3 looks a lot better than ut2k4.... but that game you have where we try to capture the beer place in UT2k4 is a serious amount of fun so id like to see that stay. BF1942 was a lot of fun back in its day but again i played that recently when it went free and OMG that killed all the great memories i had of the game - its awful now. Better off with a lan of BF3 or BF4 if it supports it.

I agree with you there but the one big problem with that is that mostly everyone has the older games while very few people have the newer games and dont want to spend money on it. Its 40 quid for Ghosts on Steam still and BF4 tho down in price is still about 24 quid on Origin

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
When it comes to games like CoD and UT there are a few reasons we pick the older games.

Partly, because they are generally dirt cheap and everybody can own them. But also partly because the dedicated servers for the more modern games are as near as makes no difference completely useless, or in some cases, simply not present whatsoever.

If anybody does not understand what a dedicated server is, or why they are so important then please just drop me a message and I'll try as best I can to explain it. But the key point is that for a LAN Party we absolutely have to have dedicated server software that is available for everybody to download, and the game has to have the ability to pick what server you play on rather than the game picking it for you.

In addition to the AAA retail price, CoD Ghosts doesn't have any dedicated servers. And the UT3 dedicated server is a pretty atrocious piece of work. At time of release it featured zero remote management possibilities. You started the server and that was it. You couldn't manually change the map / mode or anything. IIRC, you couldn't even kick people because it lacked all forms of RCON.

A quick glance this morning reveals that there is now a webadmin plugin for it. But it is not the work of Epic Games. It's a community members work (From what I understand please correct me if I'm mistaken)

Battlefield 4 is another one which simply isn't releasing the dedicated server software to the public. However even if they did, I very much doubt we would host anything for it. It's a buggy, unstable mess. I've seen people walking down Union Street at 3.30AM on a Sunday morning with more grace and style than Battlefield 4.

There is some good news on this front. TitanFall does feature dedicated servers and the internet play of this game is all on dedicated servers. But it is lacking a lot of things before we could consider using it as a big LAN game.

The biggest part of this, is that although the game does run on dedicated servers, Respawn control all of said servers and they are all running on cloud based hardware. Until they release the dedicated software so anybody can host a server, and until they add in the ability to pick your server, it is unfortunately no use as a LAN game.

I personally (and I must stress this, this is ABSOLUTELY my own opinion is based on nothing but speculation) think that Respawn may one day release the software for anybody to host our own servers. But right now they are keeping it to themselves in order to reduce piracy. By not releasing the server software to the public the possibilities for cracked servers is greatly reduced.

Given the huge success of the game, and the number of people being very vocal about TitanFall as an eSport I doubt very much they will keep the system the way it is once the initial huge rush of sales has finished. But as I said, this is ONLY my opinion and is entirely speculative.

***EDIT***

I've just checked the patch notes from two days ago. The ability for private matches has already been added. It's still forcing online play though, but looking at what Respawn have done, how they have listened to the community and responded with what has been asked for, I'm optimistic that we will be having Titanfall LAN play soon.

tl:dr : Game industry isn't producing the same standards of software as they were 10 years ago. Without said standards we can't run big LAN games.

T

trkevig

Ghost was just £16.99 at simplycdkeys.com ;)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

T

trkevig

Good explanation Gemini. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
Less than 24 hours before the decision is made. If you have yet to vote, now would be a good chance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom