Deadbox Incoming!

Dioxin

hey guys I've got a deadbox being sent up from my parents ETA tomorrow.

Before I discover how much is damaged or needs replacing I have a quick question

is it possible to use DDR2 memory in a DDR3 board?

As the most likely culprit for this deadbox is the following
Graphics Card
CPU+MotherBoard
PSU

Friend of mine has a PSU checker, graphics I'll replace anyhow

So I'm just trying to see what my cheaper options are.

if the DDR2 will work I might just splash out on decent CPU+Board as well.

Also how much wattage on my PSU will i need to run the following
CPU 95-145W not overclocked
HDD
Graphics

I think my PSU is 300w and I'd rather not blow that up.

Amesy

I doubt it will work. the pins in the DDR1 and DDR2 sticks are completely different and thus will not actually physically fit in the others Mobo slots. I would get that DDR3 would be different again.... although I've never actually seen a DDR3 stick so i couldn't say for sure.

That are the symptoms with said Deadbox?

Dioxin

Symptoms are that it just doesn't do anything bar put the power light on and spin the fans.(No graphics output and no beeps that I remember)

its been a year or so since I tried to boot it, so I dont really recall what is wrong.
regards DDR2 -> DDR3 it was just a cost saving idea instead of having to replace the memory alongside the MoBo.

Dioxin

UPDATE:
I've just sunk some funds into a raft of new internals and will be showcasing the performance at BreachLan (provided I get it up and running by then :D)

Box should arrive today, bits tomorrow or Thursday.. so I'm cutting it fine to say the least

Bloodnok

Good luck with that, your going to need it, just make sure Steam is up to date and works offline (that goes for everyone)

Btw ddr2 IS different from ddr3 as I found out at great cost (due buying a mobo off of Prism)

Amesy

Sounds like a PSU issue to me. Sounds like the PSU is firing up but not powering the board.

Bloodnok

I was so close to flagging that post but whats the point, HE'LL get it and just brush it aside...

Dioxin

as an update and dodging the Where's Prism jokes that I'm obviously not party to...

New box is up and running and running like a dream :D

But I now have in my possession 2 low-grade graphics cards a 400w PSU 2Gbs(2x1gigs) DDR2
a Mobo and a AMD AM2 chip of unknown type :D

so if anyone has a dying wish to do trouble shooting on I can bring the remaining bits to breachlan.

I've narrowed the problem to either the Mobo or the CPU, but I dont have spares of those to test (plus I wanted to play with my new shinies!)

Bloodnok

Trouble shooting at a LAN? no change there then (castiana/prism's pc).

On that note ! had to downgrade my pc to 1 gfx card from 3 due to boarderlands crashing randomly... may take them alone if anyone elses fails during the LAN (need at least 600watt psu and I want them back afterwards)

Dioxin

Trouble shooting at a LAN? no change there then (castiana/prism's pc).

On that note ! had to downgrade my pc to 1 gfx card from 3 due to boarderlands crashing randomly... may take them alone if anyone elses fails during the LAN (need at least 600watt psu and I want them back afterwards)

Best have a quick scan around for a fix, someone else is bound to have come across that...

oh and for the record I'll be bringing my Laptop along with a Borderlands install, so if someone wants to desperately lay borderlands I should be able to hook you up. (I;ve also got killing floor on it:p )

Top Bottom