Fixing a Graphics Card via an Oven

Bloodnok

After taking another laptop back from the "tip" and finding that the gfx was artifacting like mad.

I decided to have a go using the oven to "fix it" with the use of this guide

Prep for oven, gfx is a nvidia geforce 4 440 go 32mb

Picture028.jpg

195 dec C for 5mins. Shame it's not a cupcake :p

Picture033.jpg

Posting this thread on the laptop

IMG_0328.jpg

The reason for doing this on an old card was to see if would work and also to try it on something newer, like a the motherboard of a Dell M1330, known for gfx failures...

Pics of that to be uploaded at a later date...

Bloodnok

From the guide on lifehacker:

The science behind this simple: often, video cards fail due to loosening solder joints. Thus, an oven is the perfect savior: by heating those joints back up, they'll turn to liquid and melt back together, giving your card another shot at life.

coob

*looks disapprovingly*
Please, please, if your cat is not well, DO NOT PUT IN OVEN! IT DOESN'T WORK!!!

Bloodnok

Since I got time on my hands again (oh boy) I'm giving this another go at 200 dec C for 10 mins on the geforce 4 "and all is well"

Bloodnok

Looks like I'm eating my own words from my last post, it seems the geforce 4 will start to artifact as soon as the laptop boots... (even after trying different drivers) I could keep going but I'm not the one paying for the bill.

I am going to try one last time on the Dell XPS m1330 mobo as it seems that it needs more work than simply put in the oven. Yes it does bring it back from the dead but its a right pain to rebuild after 2hrs or less of use...

I'll be following this guide on modifing the heatskin to see if it more cost effective than say buying a new ish netbook...

Updates as soon as.

Bloodnok

After 5 months, the M1330 has kicked the bucket, just after buying a new hard drive for it...

Time to buy a Nexus 7 I think.

Top Bottom