Help me guys D:

Biscuit

So me and my friend really want to go to the LAN but my parent some how think you guys are paedophiles/going to steal my stuff/going to sell me drugs. Now I'm 16 come on -.- any advice on how to convince them to let me go ?

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
Hi. Welcome to our forums.

Glad to hear that you want to come along. And you are not unique in the position of having parents who are unsure.

The best way to convince your parents is for them to come along and meet myself and Deep_Blue before the start of the event.

They can see our setup, see our equipment, meet the guys in charge and generally ask any questions they like. They are also free to stop by any time during the day to check in. It would also be a good idea for myself, Deep_Blue (a.k.a Dex) and your parents to trade mobile telephone numbers. Just so we can contact each other if the need arises.

If your folks want to speak to somebody beforehand I'm sure we can arrange a Skype / phone call..

Point them towards our site and Facebook page if you haven't already and let them have a look for themselves.

Hope this helps.

Knottyboy

Get them to have a look at the previous BreachLAN sections so they can have a look at what it'll be like. We may look weird but we're a friendly bunch!

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Hi Biscuit

Our events are well publicised and as you can see we are fast approaching our 20th event! I've been running BreachLAN since it's inception in 2006 - that's over 6 years!

Please check out our event photos which we will be pooling together in one place as they are dotted about flickr etc

We're a close community so the likelihood of things going wrong are very low but you should always secure your pc with tie wraps or a kensington lock etc. We do our best to look after your kit but that is ultimately your responsibility.

I guess the average age of a BreachLAN participant is also mid to late 20's so it's a mature atmosphere for the most part and a jolly good weekend's worth of gaming.

Your folks are more than welcome to stop past and meet the staff during the event also!

Hope to see you soon!

Edit: beaten to it by gemini! :)

SocksFoHands

Security was my main concern before coming out to my first LAN too but in the couple of years I've been going to BreachLAN now I've never had anything stolen or known anyone else to have anything stolen at a BreachLAN (can't make promises about other LANs because this is the only one I go to). It simply doesn't happen because we all know each other, you're about as likely to get your stuff nicked here as you would going to a mates house. Drugs are a complete non issue too because we're just not that sort of crowd.

Like Dex said the average age of the people showing up is twenty something but we do frequently get 16 yr olds and occasionally even younger than that coming along so age is no barrier to entry as long as your folks are happy with it. The only requirement for going to a BreachLAN is that you have your own PC.

Good luck talking them into it.

DictaTyr

Aye, don't worry, there are younger folks like myself and coob (him being 18, myself 19)

Never had anything stolen and I have a laptop which is very easy to steal ;3

themast

Self Proclaimed God
I used to get that from my folks when i started attending lans and i went to ones in the south of England. luckily i was 18 when i started so payed no attention to them :)
Otherwise what gemini and Deep_blue said.

And also just thought if you can get move out of your folks house, married, join the army, pay taxes etc at 16 then if you really wanted to go then i dont think they could stop you

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
And also just thought if you can get move out of your folks house, married, join the army, pay taxes etc at 16 then if you really wanted to go then i dont think they could stop you

While technically valid, still living with parents it generally makes for an easier life to get along.

Top Bottom