New PC

Pinje

Ok so my mate wants to build a new pc, he wants to use it for like the top range games out at the moment and he wants the best stuff, he doesnt care about what the pc looks like but as long as it works like a dream hes sorted. Is there any chance anyone could help me out here?

AMD CPU

Amadeus

AMD x2 CPU 4200+
2Gb Ram
Crossfire or SLI capable motherboard
x1800 GT ati gfx or 7800 GT nvidia gfx card
or if money permits get 2 of each and run them in crossfire or sli mode
Hard Drives what ever size you want but minimum i would look at 250GB

oh yeah an a big **** off heatsink and fan

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Why would you need 2gb of ram?

bearing in mind that its cheaper to stay a generation behind

driver support tends to be better for nvidia cards imo

Amadeus

AMD works better with ATI IMO

and 2gb is what you need if you want to play any of the games coming out or already out with decent load times (ie BF2 loads much quicker) and games coming out in the near future to play dencently without having to upgrade within six months. And also Ram is cheap anyway so get as much as you can when you build the system.

and also if you want to utalise Windows vista when it comes out minimum is 512 recommended is 2gb and the "haxored copies" will be out that are final versions (not beta) will be available from later this year, pre release is end of this month, so versions will be floating about by july/august.

Cerro

Yeah 2Gb is a good idea, 1Gb is the standard now, anything less is useless...

Although Nvidia should actually work better on an AMD pc than an Intel one because Nvidia and AMD have a working agreement so all their products are fully compatible... Nvidia are pretty much on the AMD bus, ATi is more or less neutral (although they support Intel's own chipsets with crossfire but thats not possible with AMD anyway as they don't have any)

Top Bottom