Nvidia Drivers !!!

cAtAcLySm.

Hey guys, it's been a while since i've last been on and i've managed to get into some trouble with Nvidia drivers...

It started when I downloaded TF2 off of steam, the gameplay was fine, but it seemed a bit juttery when I minimised or otherwise and half-crashed in a way, so I had a look and it seemed that my nvidia drivers were out of date so I updated them via the website and everything worked smoothly, however sometimes when buffering any videos the screen would turn black and the whole thing would basically die, it sometimes recovered if I had music on in the background and then an error message would say that the Nvidia drivers had stopped working. I removed TF2 for a while because we newly got BT and the initial contract only allowed 10 gig of downloads per month (I know it's pretty crap). I had updated the drivers since then and redownloaded TF2, however the blackout problem still persists and TF2 isn't working either, It says that the TF2 is launching and then nothing happens. Can somebody please tell me how to remove the updated drivers so that I can download the older ones or offer help as how to stop this from happening ?

I'll post spec if needed, but my laptop should have no problems playing TF2. :(

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Hey buddy, if you have got a laptop sometimes laptop manufacturers include a bastardised version of the graphics hardware which is unique to the manufacturer. Dell have done this in the past, in modern times the uninstall utility provided by nvidia is pretty good at cleaning up after itself but it is worth giving something like this a go.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Failing that it might be time for a reinstall of Windows, but hey it happens! If you are still having problems then it is more than likely hardware related, but until you perform a format and reinstall you won't know that for sure.

I'd also recommend getting a GPU temperature monitoring tool like GPU-Z to check to see your card is not overheating when gaming.

Hope this helps :)

cAtAcLySm.

Hey, thanks for that, I had no Idea that Dell had made their drivers Specially, the problem has been fixed now, is there anyway that you can update the nvidia drivers from the dell website ?? :) :)

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Hey, thanks for that, I had no Idea that Dell had made their drivers Specially, the problem has been fixed now, is there anyway that you can update the nvidia drivers from the dell website ?? :) :)

I might be talking out of my arse for newer cards.... depends on the graphics card you have in your laptop to be honest :)

Cerridwen

I might be talking out of my arse for newer cards.... depends on the graphics card you have in your laptop to be honest :)

No Sony / Dell do bastardise the cards and only their drivers work, else you spend a long time hacking the official ones to make them work with their shit...

cAtAcLySm.

Hey guys, i'm back D:, the drivers have been working fine and everything has been going well since I started using the graphics drivers from the Dell website, but for the Battlefield 3 beta, it does not let me play unless i have updated my drivers, and i assume that it's going to be the same for the actual game aswell, so how can i get dell friendly graphics drivers that are up to date so that i can play BF3 !?!
or will i have to download them from the Nvidia site and live with it all the side effects ? :/
any help would b greatly appreciated ! :)

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
BF3 is a little tricky. As far as I know, you are REQUIRED to have the most up to date drivers which may or may not work for your laptop.

To be honest, I'd personally just go for it. Fire in the most up to date drivers from the nvidia website, or whatever drivers BF3 recommends you use. The worst thing that could happen is you have to spend a while cleaning and reinstalling drivers. It's not too big a job.

But I'd still backup your important files, just incase.

cAtAcLySm.

Yeh, i've done exactly that, you've got to install beta Nvidia drivers ? :S
It works atleast, even though it is very glitchy :mad:, i'm not sure if my spec is good enough or whether it's the beta or if it's a mix of both ?
but i've never experienced such bad lag/ crashes or anything, if i post my spec on here, can some1 tell me if my laptop has just become outdated ?

thanks for the help :D

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
It's the game. It's a buggy shitpile. All Battlefield games are in their early stages.

Top Bottom