PSU Blown ?

ZeroG

I did a silly thing and unplugged the wrong plug on the power strip and the pc turned off. Now when I try and boot up the power light on the front of the case flashes and I hear the fan spin up for a second but then nothing, this keeps on repeating every 5 seconds or so.

I've tried unplugging it and leaving it for a bit but that doesn't seem to have helped. Is it possible the psu might have blown and it would be a simple case of replacing it ?

Intel E8400 Dual Core Processor
Asus P5K-E Wifi Edition Motherboard
Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX (768mb)
Creative X-FI Xtreme Soundcard
2x1GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 (1066MHz)
750GB Samsung Sata2 HD753L HDD
320GB Sata Internal HDD
19" WS Hanns-G TFT
Antec P182 Case
Hiper Type-R Modular 580W PSU

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
I'd try a bios reset first, but it does sound like something went pop. Does the power supply smell a bit funny? ie burnt?

ZeroG

I did think that at first but I couldn't smell any burning at all. It happened late last night so I couldn't test anything but I till be checking when I get home tonight.

The PSU has a power switch on the back of it and it lights up but I don't know if that means anything.

PseudoPhreak

Captain Hammer!!
i say, with it all connected, turn the power off at plug, then push power button on pc, then turn power back on at plug, and turn on pc

ZeroG

Tried doing an atx reset but it didn't seem to help. The power light on the switch on the psu is lit and so is the power led on the mobo itself. But all the fans just spin up for a sec then does the same every 5 seconds or so. I will have to remove the graphics card to get to the bios reset as it's underneath it.

ZeroG

I've booted up my old system (had to use my 8800gtx) and it's running fine so it looks as though the psu is fine.

So it could be bad news in that the mobo is gone ?

I've yet to try resetting the bios but that is the next step.

Olap

you getting anything at all? may even be video card if you spiked it... this one will probably be tricky to diagnose

ZeroG

I managed to get it fixed, reset the bios on the pc, after taking out the psu and graphics to boot up my old system, and when I put the stuff back in my pc it worked fine. Guess resetting the bios fixed it.

Top Bottom