Security

Kadeshi

Hi guys! :D Newb question of the week. :p
I noticed in the FAQ about security. How vigilant should I be? Do you guys bolt your PC's to the tables or something equally as worrying?

coob

*looks disapprovingly*
i personally park a 3 tonne bag of grain on top of my system, which i then bolt into the rafters just to be sure...

I have personally NEVER had anything stolen or misplaced at a LAN and i cant think of anyone who has.

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
I can second this - in the time that I've been at the LAN I've not had any issues or heard of any issues with people having anything happen to their stuff. Its always advisable to keep things like your wallet/car keys/phone etc on you at all times (I tend to keep mine in my sleeping bag while I'm asleep) instead of leaving them on your desk while you are asleep - that said again any time I've not done this I've not had an issue. Other than that I can't think of any measures I take while at the event. If you

Oh, one thing to make sure - make sure you have a password on your computer. It generally doesn't happen, and we discourage the practice (and take complaints about it seriously) , but "fraping" has happened on occasion, when someone has left their computer unlocked/unpassworded.

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
As Skull has said, we are very fortunate to have a small-ish group of consistent lan goers and we have been fortunate not to experience any trouble so far. I have been to many LAN's up and down the country most have been up to the 100 player mark and people tend to be nice. For larger LAN's I would say kensington locks and cableties to secure keyboard, mouse, headset, gamepad to the desk are the bare minimum for say an i-series.

With regard to wallets, keys, phones etc as Skull has said, try not to leave them alone but I too am guilty of this!

Entry and exit is through one door which involves getting past the staff row (and dod) so again it makes security events even less likely. We are also very lucky to have a great community who are all pretty mature :)

Hope this helps settle your nerves :)

Eklipze3k

Geeks are born with excess awesome, we don't need to steal to feel that awesome flow through our veins, it's there always!

Top Bottom