Windows update KB971033

Olleran

Hey, just a quick post to say that if you repeatedly have a window coming up about genuine windows, then it can be solved by going to control pannel, uninstall a program, view installed updates (on the left) then searching for KB971033, uninsatl it and restart.

I had trouble with this myself so I thought I'd post it here.

Niko

I was under the impression that once it was flagged as non-genuine, you'd still be flagged even after uninstalling the update. Can't say I've tried it though.

Just because the popups have stopped it might not mean that you're off the hook, I'd check to see whether or not your OS is still flagged. Wouldn't want to get stuck with an expired trial version.

Olleran

Well my Windows says it been activated and has the product code stored so I think I'll be ok.

I also have the CD box and receipt.

Niko

Yeah, you'll be fine. I'd heard from somebody that once it was flagged you were screwed, but I guess that's not the case.

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Despite having a full retail copy of 7 I got one over the internet activation out of it, the telephone activation process isn't too time consuming though.

Amesy

MS are actually pretty good over the phone with stuff like this. if you do have issues and have the box and receipt to proove it is genuine, then they'll be cool about it all. maybe even give you something for your troubles if you press them.

Top Bottom