won't be able to come =/

Daniel128

Sorry guys, going to have to sit this one out again. think my motherboard died when i moved it to tidy up my room (that teaches me :mad:) so now i can't afford it with the new motherboard/cpu :(

Have fun!

Daniel128

literally no idea, the comp was free from my uncle a couple years ago, upgraded everything except the mobo and cpu since then. i know it's old and shit but other than that no idea.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/barebones/bb-8404gc.html

just buying this as i'm not 100% sure its the mobo and not the cpu broken.

as i'm here i'll describe the problem.

plugged everything back in, switched on and got 6 beeps, took everything apart and put it back together and now when i switch it on the fans just run and nothing else happens, also when i switch it on at the wall or turn the PSU on it just starts running the fans instead of doing a power check then going off like it should.

ZeroG

Don't necessarily need to change the battery - just take out it - wait 30 seconds then put it back in. Also short the bios pins for 10 seconds or so with the plastic cap to clear the bios. You'd be surprised how often that works.

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
If you can get it to Scott before LAN he can take it out to me and I'l take a look.

I won't charge for time or if you come to the LAN. And I MAY be able to get it going in the short term with one of my spares.

Daniel128

that'd be fantastic Greg, if you couldn't fix it but could get it going with your spares until next bursary day then I'd for sure be able to come and bask you in all of my starcraft mediocrity!!

EDIT:: Just spoke to scott and he's cool, not sure when though as he's busy working, but def before breach!

your a lifesaver, literally no idea what i'm doing

(update on its condition:: just does the 6 beeps thing now, second hard drive is fucked, case is too small and the cable snapped the plastic casing keeping the pins in place off, but that didn't have anything important on it anyways, gfx cards fans work, motherboard light on aswell as ethernet port light, though no keyboard lights.)

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
that'd be fantastic Greg, if you couldn't fix it but could get it going with your spares until next bursary day then I'd for sure be able to come and bask you in all of my starcraft mediocrity!!

EDIT:: Just spoke to scott and he's cool, not sure when though as he's busy working, but def before breach!

your a lifesaver, literally no idea what i'm doing

(update on its condition:: just does the 6 beeps thing now, second hard drive is fucked, case is too small and the cable snapped the plastic casing keeping the pins in place off, but that didn't have anything important on it anyways, gfx cards fans work, motherboard light on aswell as ethernet port light, though no keyboard lights.)

You got a dell precision don't you? There are diagnostic lights on the front (1,2,3,4) can you post up what happens when you turn it on? Including the pattern of the beeps, they will be long or short. We should be able to work out the issue from the diagnostic lights and beeps

Daniel128

your guess is as good as mine tbh, no idea what kind of dell i've got, i'll have a look and get knotty to post the results if he's a willing dildo

EDIT:: i recall the numbers now, i'll get on it when i get home! thanks again! (why is it my computers fine all year round except for just before breach? EVERY time :()

Daniel128

Panic over, my rubbish old DDR2 ram stick died, thanks for the help everyone! see you at breach!

on a related note anyone have a stick of DDR2 they want to sell?

SocksFoHands

Panic over, my rubbish old DDR2 ram stick died, thanks for the help everyone! see you at breach!

on a related note anyone have a stick of DDR2 they want to sell?

Yes actually. I have some pretty good DD2 RAM I won at the last lan. Only 2 GB of it though.

Top Bottom