BL30 The Good the Bad and the damn right Ugly

grogers126

Sniper
Well peeps we the staff would like to thank you for attending BreachLan 30 and we hope you all had a wonderful time. Please leave us some feed back below. Please remember to be honest so that if something is wrong we then know that the issue has to be addressed and hopefully we can also make the necessary improvements to give you guys the best gaming experience.

grogers126

Sniper
THE GOOD
  • Nice to see some new faces. ( welcome thompus )
  • Thank you to icecoldas coming all the way from the Netherlands again. (you are always welcome at BreachLAN)
  • Raffle (thank you to all who donated some awesome prizes)
  • Everyone got into the spirit of Red v Blue and well done to both teams.
  • Risk Nice to advise Dex to his 7th straight win.
  • the atmosphere through out the entire Lan was awesome
  • Gang Beasts
THE BAD
  • The power cut (this will be addressed before the next event)
  • The Lack of atmosphere and music on the last day
  • We find that the staff are still having to remind customers to keep there area etc clean.
THE UGLY
  • Castiana crack (far to much shown at this event)
  • Kev's homebrew damn that stuff is strong
  • Carjiack first thing in the morning
cant think of anything else but when i do i will amend my post.

Now i wish to personally apologize to those who did not find the food orders to be of the normally high standard that they normally are.
Papa johns pizza is a franchise and the day before the Event i was informed that a new manager was in charge of the store that we use. After much discussions the order was placed and delivered. we understand that one pizza was missing and a few others may have been of a low standard so please let us know what you thought of your pizza.

We changed the supplier of the chipper for this event as i have been approached several times over past events about the low standard of food that was supplied by the Ashvale. We changed to the meldrum chippie in the hoping that they would be a better supplier. Unfortunately it feels that i have made a wrong decision and may have to rethink this and whom we use for future events. Again please let us know what you though of your chipper order and please remember to be honest.

finally We the staff would like to thank you for your continued support. You are the people that make BreachLAN the success that it is today and we hope this can continue long into the future.

Thank you

Niko

Good
  • Great atmosphere, lots of team spirit.
  • Nice to see so many filled seats
  • Plenty of space between desks
  • Red vs. Blue was a lot more enjoyable than last time, but I'm not sure if that was because I was on the winning team or not. Last year's RvB felt quite hostile at times, but this year felt much more like a friendly competition
  • Almost no technical problems - didn't lose the internet connection, and only the one power cut. An improvement over last time, for sure.
  • Wallpapers - it was awesome to see the stuff that I've made plastered across the room. Was also funny to see last year's RvB wallpaper on a couple of screens with MSPaint edits
  • Steam cache - no more dicking around with steam backups on major games
  • Quite a few new games - Hearthstone, NeoTokyo, Insurgency, etc. Good to see some new games ousting some of the regular ones.
  • 10 player Gang Beasts
  • Awesome raffle - easily the best one I've seen yet. Will definitely look to add some stuff to the next raffle to keep the standard up.
  • No Grassy Knoll
  • 100% toilet survival rate (as far as I know)
  • First time I've been at a LAN and not driving, so I actually got to drink for once. Turns out getting drunk at the LAN is fun - who knew?
  • Kev's homebrew - finally got to try it and it was good.
  • Free refill of Jack Daniels and cash prize. Unexpected, and very much appreciated.
Bad
  • Papa John's customer service. They used to be really accommodating and gave us a bunch of free food in the past when the order arrived wrong, now they're just arseholes.
  • My ability at Kerbal Space Program. I keep accidentally increasing the population of Kerbals on the moon, instead of rescuing them as planned.
  • Team imbalance in RvB - not much fun when the other team doesn't have a chance, and towards the end of the LAN the enthusiasm for RvB was gone.
  • The RvB game list was a bit FPS-heavy. There was some good variety, but around half the games were FPS and two of them were very hardcore. I had fun, but I'm sure it made a lot of the RvB events inaccessible to some players who aren't good at shooters.
  • Washing dishes and tidying up after the LAN - would be a lot easier if we could keep on top of the mess as we go
  • Walking home in the rain on Saturday night
  • Probably my last LAN until next August :(
  • Carjriak can't keep his hands to himself
  • The TrackMania course - don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun, but that track was evil.
  • Really warm at times
Food Feedback

Honestly, I was okay with the chipper order, but I think I'm in the minority. I ordered a fish supper and it wasn't cold and tasted fine enough. Maybe the orders cooked last were the only ones to keep their heat? I never had issues with the Ashvale either, and to me this order seemed to be on par with the Ashvale - but if people have had concerns with the Ashvale order before, then I guess that's not a good thing.

My pizza was also fine - much the same as previous LANs. Nothing unusual to report, other than the shocking customer service.

Last edited:
P

Pru

The good:

• Gang beasts
  • RvB
  • TF2
  • Neotokio
  • Steam cache
  • The raffle prizes
  • Blue team spirit
  • The drinking game on Friday night (aah!)
The bad::
  • The Chipper order (I only ordered chips, but they were almost cold and chewy)
  • Pizza (aside from papa John's just generally being arses, my pizza was almost cold. Also a lack of sour cream dips)
  • RvB being a bit fps heavy
The ugly:
  • Feeling really tired and sleeping through a lot of stuff
  • Greg winning another bloody poster!
  • Spending £11 on raffle tickets just to win a foam keyring (happy the money goes to breach though)

The Good :
  • So many big new games! - Insurgency would have been better if I had sound!
  • No UT2k4 - Hooray!
  • Trackmania - Came 6th but lots of tension and excitement
  • The awesome raffle - Won nothing, but delighted to see some incredible prizes
  • The party atmosphere over Friday and Saturday
  • Gang Beasts
  • Chipper run with Casti, I haven't laughed so much in ages... something about bringing a small chippy to its knees makes me chuckle inside.
  • How much everyone got into RvB in a friendly way
  • Really enjoyed everyones music requests, sorry to those who I couldnt get. If you have something obscure you want to hear - drop me a pm to make sure I have it :)
The Bad :
  • Not getting Gang Beasts footage :(
  • Tesco in Inverurie - WHY U NO SIGN AISLES!
  • Most big games starting at least 30-45mins+ after they were scheduled
  • Realising my airbed my burst at 3am on Thursday morning
The Ugly :
  • Power Outage on Saturday night, on the plus side its made us aware of some very important things that are needing attention. Thanks to everyone for their understanding and patience.

Overall, it was a really enjoyable weekend. As always plenty that we can make better for next time and you can rest assured that we will. That raffle prize list was insane, and sets the bar for next one. Thanks to everyone for coming and as always - leave any suggestions/requests for next time!

Will

Good:
Hearthstone and Starcraft II giving me extreme anxiety in an effort to earn some Red Team points.
The camaraderie between team members. Really felt like a friendly competition.
Having some space to get away from the computer screen and playing some card games.
A nice variety in the raffle prizes. Shame I had to miss it!
Loads of toilet roll in the toilets. I bought my own 4-pack but found what was there more than adequate.
The weather!! Lovely!

Bad:

Dave's Kings rules (my poor throat)
Lack of Prop Hunt! Garry's Mod has a stable version I hear?
Having to leave early, therefore missing the group cuddles during the power outage :-(
The music on Sunday early afternoon

Ugly:
The snoring in the hall. Worse than the bloody computers! Thank FSM for in-ear headphones.
My farts.
My lack of bed. I should get a mattress.

Lovely LAN lads.

mintR

I Stream Things
THE GOOD
  • Seeing some new games at the LAN which I believe everyone enjoyed, Hearthstone, Insurgency for example.
  • The overall atmosphere as always was great
  • The raffle, It gives people chance to win goodies at the same time as raising money for BreachLAN which gets re-used back into BreachLAN so we all benefit.
  • Enjoyed taking part in the Texas Holdem poker, Having games organised that isn't front of a computer screen was fun
  • ELMO KNOWS,ELMO CAN HELP!
THE BAD

• Wasn't sure what to make of the food, the fish and chips was ok, abit on the cold side and tasteless. My pizza had pools of oil sitting in every pepperoni slice, but it was warm.

THE UGLY
Idt5vGJ.jpg

JUST LOOK AT ALL THE UGLINESS!

Last edited:

Carjriak

The Good:
Leading Blue Team to victory
The games were mostly even throughout the LAN
A few nice additions to the possible LAN roster of games
The raffle
The friendly competition, nobody took it too seriously
Friendly harassment of the other captain
Captains games
10 Player Gang Beasts
Elmo, it was so funny I was almost in tears
Risk, we all know why :)
Free couple bottles of homebrew(Cheers Kev)

The Bad:
My chipper order not arriving(Thanks Casti for giving me some of yours)
Power outage
The competition being a little FPS heavy
No UT2004(I even brought it on my original disk)

The Ugly:
Dods face

All in all a good LAN, just as enjoyable as expected

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
The Good
  • Red vs Blue
  • Loads of games were played
  • Insurgency
  • Massive game of TF2
  • Rage-inducing Trackmania
  • DJ Roland (and Gemini)
  • Steam Cache and uber downloads :D
  • Hearthstone
  • Massive participation in RvB
  • The kind people who stayed behind to help clear up, you guys know who you are and you all rock!
  • Home brew
  • Awesomely nice people
  • Friendly atmosphere
  • 10 player Gangbeasts
The Bad
  • Sock's missing pizza
  • Packing up :(
The Ugly
  • The washing up that was left and general poor show from the people that left tons of rubbish that was left for staff and volunteers to dispose of. You guys do realise that someone has to tidy it up and whilst you might be home and set up by 5pm staff members were still at the hall at the back of 7. It doesn't take much to throw / recycle your own rubbish as you go along!

Top Bottom