Building a server (and needing help)

Bloodnok

I'm trying to make a server out of parts I got lying about and with some blind luck from the local tip.

What I got in stock:

Gigabyte K8 939
AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 @ 2.6GHz
4 x 512mb DDR Crucial Ballistix RAM
nVidia 6800 Ultra 256mb AGP
Coolermaster 850 Watt PSU
Random 300 Watt PSU
Thermaltake Xaser III
Random ide HDD (320GB, 2x 40GB, 1x 80GB)

The problem I've got with the above is the mobo is being an arse i.e. forgets what cpu its got, some times it will boot with no problems or loses the plot (bios settings that is). BIOS is the latest version, powers on with 850 WATT psu.

Found from Tip:

Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.2GHz
Ati Radeon X800 Pro 256mb AGP
2x 160GB Maxtor
2x Silver Sony DVD-RW Drive
Silver Sony Floppy Drive

Almost my gaming pc spec from 2005 XD, shame it was missing RAM and PSU (case was shagged btw)

Just needed a clean and they all work (even came with a floppy with sata drivers for mobo lol).

I am going to take the best of the 2 lists from above but hit a set back.

The problem with the above is that it will not boot with the 850 Watt psu BUT it does with the 300 watt...

Would I need to update the BIOS? Would need to do it for the FX-60 according to ASUS site but that 300 watt psu won't last long...

Any ideas?

IMG_5815.jpg

Testing mobo on top of cardboard (psu is underneath)

NssB

Volatile Creature
I have a theory...

Did you install the flux capacitor with pins 1 and 2 at the uppermost of the 6 dimensional chamber adjacent to the holographic dissassembler?

Cuz if you didn't.....then the CPU will constantly be shifting phase by a couple of microns thus confusing your mobo into thinking the CPU is there, not there, there, not there, there, not......well you get the picture right?

just a thought like...

M

Bloodnok

I would require 4 things then

1: a 1.21 Gigawatt power source

2: a car that can do 88mph (just isn't good enough)

3: the plans for the Flux capactior and time circuits are a must

4: a huge wad of cash...

So much for the server then...

Bloodnok

Just looking through the forums and found this again and after nearly a year, the server is still in bits and the psu is now binned (and shouldn't have...).

I was just going to get a cheap case for it from NEP

I still need to pick up parts from blitz topic here, if he still got them for me...

Top Bottom