Important - Please read

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
I’ve had some feedback from the hall with regard to the state that the men’s toilets were left in after the last event. At some point during the event someone thought it would be a really great idea to substitute paper hand towels for bog roll. I don’t know how many of you are particularly familiar with how a bog works but hand towels do not agree with the plumbing.

At this point in time we are looking at an unknown bill for rectifying this problem but it is important that we maintain a good relationship with our venue. We (the Staff) have agreed to cover the costs out of our own pocket for getting this sorted out which will involve calling in a plumber at short notice, for an unknown period of time.

You may be asking why does this concern you? Well it does for a couple of reasons.

1. BreachLAN is a community event, it should not be one person’s sole responsibility to pay for costs such as this.
  2. It wasn't me! I don’t actually care who it was or who it wasn't, but the important thing is, the staff and I run this LAN for FUN not to deal with the left over shit from people too lazy to ask for a new bog roll.
  3. Our reputation with the hall is paramount to maintaining a great place to host BreachLAN and I intend to do my best to preserve our reputation.

So what are the options?

Given the above points, we have 4 options available to us. It is up to you, the community that we do this for to pick the option you think best:

1. Do nothing and almost certainly lose access to an excellent venue, which could potentially lead to the end of BreachLAN.
  2. The guilty party/parties can send me a PM on the forums owning up and covering the plumber’s bill. Currently the bill is standing at £30 in additional cleaning time but I expect this to rise quite considerably.
  3. I will begrudgingly cover the plumbing costs but will be redeeming them through an increase of ticket prices.
  4. We call an end to BreachLAN and stop running Events.

Given each option, if (and we hope it does) the LAN continues, we will no longer provide hand towels in the bathrooms to prevent this issue reoccurring. As always this LAN is what you make it guys and I leave that decision in your hands.

Cheers,

- The Staff

Option 3 - I don't think we're going to find out who's bright idea it was but to be honest - if the toilet's been blocked with it then it's not just been one person flushing them... Add a one off charge to the next tickets...

I am curious though - paper towels? Isn't that like wiping your arse with sandpaper??? desperate times...

T

trkevig

I was using toilet wipes which I put in the bin (sorry) but I'd be happy to make a donation towards this to keep the lan going and not ruin the reputation the staff have with the owners? I remember the toilets being a tad on the full side last time hence why I disposed in the bin. I'll give u a pm Dex.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

BlitzThose

if the person responsible does not come forward in the next 6 days (id be extremely surprised if they do), Ill put £100 towards the cost of the Plumber.

while I was not involved as I actually had the decency to ask for toilet roll when required... I feel that you guys should not bare the financial burdon, you dedicate a great deal of time and energy running the lans at no benefit to yourselfs and it seems unfair that you should suffer due to some lazy arsehole..

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Just like to say thank you for your support so far guys, I really appreciate all offers of monetary assistance!

T

trkevig

After talking to Dex, this is looking to be a few HUNDRED quid guys and not just a few quid. I think we ALL need to chip in whether we did this or not because these guys put on an utter amazing Lan for us and shouldn't have to put up with this sort of crap.

I'm not as well off as Blitz but I'd happily chip in £50 to help out Dex and the staff.

mintR

I Stream Things
This is why I bring my own bog roll. I believe everyone who attended BreachLAN #29 were all adults and I'm sure the person/people who did block the toilet would own up to the staff in a private discussion so that others shouldn't have to pick up the damages.

That being said, I can see what I can chip in at the next event to help with the costs, that's if the the person/people involved don't fess up before hand.

gimpchimp

I'm headed north of the wall (Shetland) on Friday but I'm happy to help out as and when required. Let me know when you have the final quote and I'll see what I can do.

gimpchimp

Absolutely not. I'd also concur with not providing paper towels for drying hands - we can all bring towels from our houses (although I did forget to bring mine this time...)

Niko

Given the possibility that whoever was responsible might not see this message, might not know they were responsible, might not be able to afford to cover the cost themselves or might not even care, I think the best option is definitely to have us all chip in what we can and pay the bill ASAP. I will put in what I can, just let me know the easiest way to do so.

That said, if nobody comes forward then the offender won't face any consequences themselves. Not only is this shitty to the entire community, but it also sets a sort of standard of "it doesn't matter, someone will pay for it". For that reason I think the next event's ticket prices should also be increased - whether the extra money's used to pay the bill directly, pay back those who ended up unfairly shouldering the costs, put aside for future incidents or whatever, at least it very clearly shows that we have to look after the venue and there will be consequences if we do not.

Willquotes

Gotta say I agree with Niko. I'm more than happy to chip in with the bill, but that sets a bad standard for the idiot(s) who've done this to set aside all responsibility for their actions.

Ticket price increase to aid a 'just in case' fund and pay back the staff for shouldering the cost is my vote.

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
I think this all just comes down to people not willing to ask for the staffs help with things involving tidyness. I know plenty people did come and ask for more towels / loo roll / bin liners but clearly not everybody did.

Plus, despite me stating quite explicitly to do your own dishes as soon as you are done with them it was still left to two volunteers who took care of a sink full of dishes on more than one occasion.

It's most unfortunate that this situation has occurred but let's not lose sight of the fact that we clearly have a FANTASTIC community and the outpouring of support to help us fix this and maintain our reputation is heartwarming.

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Hi Guys, as always I am very warmed by the positive response I've had from you the community, however I've been presented with the bill and would appreciate any help at all for now. Please send me a PM if you want to chip in before the next LAN.

Thank you! :)

T

trkevig

As promised, £50 sent via PayPal Dex. Hope it helps.

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Just heard back from the hall (well I did last night but it was pretty late) anyhow after 3 hours of a drain man the problem has now been resolved. I'm also very pleased to tell you guys that the very kind folks on the Hall committee are considering this a "one-off".

If it's cool with you guys, I'd like to make sure this doesn't happen again. We'll be revising our T&C's, at the same time I hope that this is a lesson to all of you that it is only through our excellent previous working relationship with the hall that has allowed us to salvage the situation!

The staff will be doing their bit to keep the hall in a fit state, but we also need you guys to also do your bit. For future reference, the hall has a septic system and unless it's bog roll it doesn't get used. This is our first and only warning, please do not screw it up for others.

To re-iterate, I'm pointing the finger at anyone who thought it would be a great idea to flush paper hand towels, wet wipes, baby wipes, incontinence pads, female sanitary products down the toilets, it's your fault we have a huge black mark on our Karma with the hall.

Top Bottom