My thoughts on the LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
Very good, but I have one or two thoughts.

1. Lack of internet access was a bit annoying. Not for gaming or anything but it was kinda a pest for stuff like email and IM programs.

2. It did get a bit cold at night.

3. What happened to the KFC run?

4. In a room with 30 people, was there any real need for IRC?

Apart from that, I personally was exremely impressed with my first BL. The professionalism of the event far exceeded my expectations. And the minor annoyances I mentioned are nothing in a jar of otherwise very pleasant ointment.

Bring on BL6

L

Laliho

This was the first time i have been to breachlan and i had a amazing time and hope to go to the next one

Thanks for a good time =)

I

imported_prism

I just wana say thanks to all you guys for comming along!

I hope we can beat the BL#5 attendance for BL#6!

I shall post the "Board Geeks = Dead Maxtor" video soon :)

MadmaN

Before I start I would like to say a big thanks to Scottish Dragon for getting me connected to the network hehe.

Hey Gemini.

It was a good lan and hope everyone enjoyed them self as I sure did hehe.

Couple of things that I thought that could have gone better.

1. More Team Games organised by breachlan so everyone has to play.

2. What happend to the Tesco Runs?

Comments to what Gemini was saying.

Internet accesss is possibly getting organised for future lans I think But afterall it's a LAN party and the internet is not realy needed.

Yes it did get a bit cold but maybe thats something that can get sorted.

IRC is a must at LAN partys as for one you still feel at home lol and you can organise things over IRC.

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
I was worried that we didnt organise enough big games, we'll sort this out for the next lan, but what we do need from you guys is to help us advertise, as we're a small lan every good word counts :)

Ultimately you guys make what you want of the LAN, we'll hapilly run more big games if people are willing to sign up to them!

Thanks for all coming!

IRC is needed :)

Pinje

Irc does help for ftp unless you wana advertise like prism. I'd say i agree with Madman with both points raised.

kingconan

Ok, as per usual - the LAN was great:

Pros:
1.I was made to feel very welcome again - thanks to all the attendees and staff for that!
2.Plenty of food runs seemed to be available including an epic one on friday night!
3.The usual games were played - UT2004, Savage, CSS, air buccaneers ( although I missed that :( )
4.Raffle prizes were again very good

Cons
1.Maybe next time there can be a few more organised games?

Thanks again for another great LAN, I look forward to seeing you all at #6.

Bloodnok

My god that was fun, but looks like i can't keep coming to win the raffle prizes :evil:. 1st out of the hat aswell, thats twice now....

Note: dressing up as a terrorist is not a good idea when doing the asda/tesco run :roll:

I also found out i left the following in the hall :oops::

2x blue pillows

1x green air bed

1x 450 watt psu in dyce's pc (not a major loss)

Shout if u no where they are now.

ta

MadmaN

Maybe some quake 3 next lan? pwety please lol. even a 30 min ffa would be a good laugh and a capture the flag game.

Oh Yeh let me know about the lan t-shirts, one with BreachLAN on the front with MadmaN under it and MadmaN on the back. been wanting a named t-shirt for a while hehe.

Also like the idea of a breachlan carrying on to monday.

Cerridwen

Ok, KFC run folded, everyone kept playing games so was a lil hard to get cash and orders. However perhaps next time we can organize some hot food runs, other than the pizza and at different times?

Dave i have a green air bed thing? and 2 blue pillows, did try to contact you over mobile but got no response >< still in my car, you can have em back tomorrow.

tbh imho it wasn't cold at night, in fact it was warmer than i like.

PseudoPhreak

Captain Hammer!!
actually, i agree with the cold, i am normally roasting in my sleeping bag at night in the hall, but Friday night i was actually a little bit cold, but Saturday i was perfect, but during hte day i was a mix of hot and cold at different times, will need to find out if we can control the temp of the place

Pinje

I still think its a valid point that you should change the way that you win raffle prizes so its a random prize that you get, not getting to select a prize.

ZeroG

Main thing I normally see is for the big games i.e. UT2K4 everyone plays but apart from any tournaments everyone is split into little groups playing other games. Rarely is there a time when everyone is playing the same thing outside of a tournament, which is a bit of a disappointment. Playing games like Battlefield with only a small amount of people isn't that great.

The staff can organise big games but the attendees are the ones that need to play. I didn't see all that many people playing bf2 and even the Flat Out 2 tournament quite a few people pulled out. Even if you don't like the game or are crap at it you should still play as it's just a bit of fun.

As for internet connection I don't see that as something the lan needs, apart from maybe downloading the odd patch everyone has forgotten or for getting Steam working. The reason for attending a lan isn't to use the internet really.

Maybe some quake 3 next lan? pwety please lol. even a 30 min ffa would be a good laugh and a capture the flag game.

Did you not have enough with me kicking your ass with my mighty 450fps :p

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
I agree with zerog 100% although alot of things were scheduled there was a lack of signups for things

I think for number 6 we'll try and put up an event schedule and get people signed up before the event or something :)

It's up to you guys!

Do we really need internet? Would you be willing to pay a little extra for internet? Keeping in mind that it would be for steam activation, patches and browsing. Online gaming like WOW would prolly be a no no, even over night, as we want you guys well rested for the tourneys :)

Sam_Chan

imo it was the best lan so far. i haven't had so much fun at any of the previous BL's

but i didn't get a hug from Mark :(

:p

We could have done with a few more big games and more organised hot food runs, but apart from that i can't really think of much else

Sakey

Ok, Thanks for comming everyone. Another enjoyable (read stressful) LAN.

In answer to some of the questions.

Tesco Run: Tescos was closed at nights due to refurbishement. Out of our control unfortunatly.

Internet: Internet is a privalage not a right :p In all seriousness though, it is being looked in to, though we may have to charge more to have it.

Team Games: ZeroG hit it on the head. I can scream the place down (In fact next time I am goint to take an amp and a microphone) to get people to play big games. The fact is that I can't force people to play them. For example Air Bucaneers, There were some people that just refused point blank to play. The only way I think I can make sure everyone plays is to stick to default UT modes :S

Quake 3: Probably not as by the next LAN we may well have Quake Wars :p

Anyway, look for some announcements in the near future regarding BL6. There may be some big surprises :D

Bloodnok

Sry dragon a bit late now (playing wow) but thx for keeping the "misplaced" stuff for me. Now i need to do is find dyce to sort out the psu...

Moppith

Awesome lan imo!

Typical complaint of "not enough" big games is due to everyone imo!
It would be a good idea to actually have written down "big game of X on X day at X time" and people who don't attend can go screw themselves really!

The games we did have big ones of, savage, a little UT onslaught and the instagib ctf and a decent sized game of bf2 at somepoint were good and all organised by the people at the lan!
The fact that savage is available on the ftp and is freeware excuses nobody from playing it. Unless it actually pains you to play it, stop being a damn pussy! :cool:

Internet - tbh it would put me OFF coming to the lan, and if it was the reason for a price hike i would NOT attend. You dont need IM or anything like that! Bored? join a game thats running. No games running? shout at people to get one going! The steam issue seemed to be sorted by prism (not sure on that as i dont use steam) patches n stuff tend to be available from everyone else. just get it off the person who has the most up to date one and everyone should be fine.

There was a big tesco run (4 cars went off at once) and this was loudly announced!
Ok hot food runs, the only non-tesco run i did was too feck off for a few hours and visit my sister. Normally we do a mcd's or kfc run in big fasion but for some reason forgot to this time :p

Critics - Next time put times of games and matches in plain view of all! I was a little shocked by how prompt the 100frag instagib seemed to go down (maybe i missed something earlier?) i feel i may not have had time to "aquire" and install/patch up had i not been prepared already. Plus this gives people something to look forward to through the day

Wishlist - 2v2 RTS tourney - i would even organise it if i could find out what game people wanted to play RTS wise, would end up spanning over the whole weekend.

Overall - well organised Lan, no real problems as i could see! minor glitch with a UT2k4 server only being capped at 16 man but that was smoothly and swiftly dealt with(ta matt + chris). Great fun! heart-pounding game of UT2k4 Instagib CTF which might have gone on a little long for some people, but for the others it was brilliant :D - Thanks guys - Will be at the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom