New(ish) PC Build

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
Hey Guys,

So as you will have all heard at some point - my pc is fairly old now (I'm still on a Core2Duo! XD)

I'm looking at replacing the motherboard/cpu/ram/case and combining that with my graphics card that I've got at the moment for a newish system.
What do you guys think of the specs outlined below? (if you can find the same parts anywhere else for cheaper then brilliant!)

CPU - Core i5 2500K - http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...+Unlocked+Processor+-+Retail+?productId=43216

Motherboard - MSI B75MA-P45 - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-...ridge-sata-6gb-s-usb30-pcix16-gen30-dvi-d-vga

RAM - 8Gb Corsair Vengance stuff - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ...ance-Memory/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=pd_rhf_gw_shvl4

Case - Fractal Design Core 1000 - http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...1000+Black+Micro-ATX+Chassis+?productId=45751

My graphics card is the GTX560Ti, so that one is already settled as it's what I've got in my current system, and PSU and hard drives are sorted, they'll be cannibalised from my current machine as well.

Have I missed anything out?

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
Just to add, I'm deliberately going mATX so I can hopefully get the machine on a train with me XD

coob

*looks disapprovingly*
Good idea with the form factor, only thing is your hard drive newish? probally already considered that i know but never know...

EDIT; Also check that the card will fit :p
EDIT2; I can endorse that RAM brilliant choice (exactly the same as mine :D)

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
Meh, doesn't really phase me if I get 6Gbps out of my drives. I should really move steam to that drive as currently the only games on it are EvE, BF3 and Starcraft (then all of my music etc XD)

coob

*looks disapprovingly*
Ahh ok, what can the average drive reach then? Im dampt sure i noticed a diffrence between 3 and 6 :p and i defo noticed a diffrence with my SSD in 6Gbps.

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Ahh ok, what can the average drive reach then? Im dampt sure i noticed a diffrence between 3 and 6 :p and i defo noticed a diffrence with my SSD in 6Gbps.

Placebo effect anyone?

I reckon a *good* hard drive will see an average of around 60megabytes a second which translates to about 800mbit? Sata 1 is 1.5Gbps and Sata2 is 3Gbps.....

Solid state drives again.... I've sometimes seen around about 140-150 which puts us at around the gigabit mark, and I'm not talking a cheap SSD either, I've got a sanforce drive too! :)

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
Whereas I prefer capacity over speed, I don't do SSDs, much rather have big drives than fast boot times / load times (and even then I could achieve near-ssd speeds with raid, for a fraction of the cost)

Bloodnok

*looks at spec

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Maybe a harness or something on those lines, other than that, seems ok.

SocksFoHands

Placebo effect anyone?

I reckon a *good* hard drive will see an average of around 60megabytes a second which translates to about 800mbit? Sata 1 is 1.5Gbps and Sata2 is 3Gbps.....

Solid state drives again.... I've sometimes seen around about 140-150 which puts us at around the gigabit mark, and I'm not talking a cheap SSD either, I've got a sanforce drive too! :)

I've been putting serious thought into getting an SSD lately if I do a new build. Do you not think they're worth it?

coob

*looks disapprovingly*
new build? Not worth getting a new PC over, just fix the old one and shove it into there :D i think there well worth it because (and argue ALL you like) but i turn my computer off if i am away for >10minutes and the boot time really makes me happy :D.

Also for you socks, i would recommend getting one, the amount of times you get corrupt windows install's you'll have less down time :p

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Not worth spending £2 a gig for a decent one though.... considering you need 100+ for a windows install and a few programs. I doubt I'll be buying more!

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Lemme guess those figures are arrived at by using iometer or something similar?

You'd be hard pushed to get that level of performance from a drive or storage system that costs less than a few thousand, believe me as I manage one! :)

coob

*looks disapprovingly*
You have to admit that there coming down in price though :D mine only reachs 312read and around 200write

Top Bottom