Onlive - play games streaming over a broadband connection!

MadmaN

wow! im shocked I was just talking about something like this not long ago to Gemini and now I see it realy is comming!!!!

what i am talking about is the abilty to play games streaming over the internet to your computer or tv! you wont need to worry about hardware as the game will be played from a beefy system at the other end!

play games such as crysis and other top titles!

http://www.onlive.com/ - comming out in america first tho. it looks pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lqkz5UJHbY - example!

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
have also seen a system similar to this that uses your gaming pc to stream pc games to linux on a ps3, so you can play them on the tv

MadmaN

are mircosoft not talking about having an online o/s version of there windows?

all these systems would suck big time if you lost your connection lol

Negator

perhaps in contries with good contention ratios and no fair use policies and obviously bandwidth it would work. but for most of the people in the UK on adsl a service like this would be far too unreliable to play. even 100ms of input lag would make fps/driving/sports games frustratingly annoying. hardcore gamers even use to avoid using wireless keyboards/mice because of the delay... and then you have to send the inputs to a server which processes it and then sends the encoded video back to you...

mmo + rts games perhaps.. but i just cannot see this method working until the infrastructure is improved dramatically. think of the outrage if it was like any MMO of recent times with massive lag + downtime leaving people unable to play games they have paid for access too.. People moan if xbox live if down for a bit, even if they can play offline!

Olap

aye, fail, for the same reasons "the cloud" is doomed to fail:
we all used to share servers years ago - then we realised it was crap and got our own cpu...
reliablitiy - many many points of failure, router, isp, cloud provider
who is going to pay for it when it eventually requires money?
and then there's interoperability, responsiveness, usability

Specific to this, graphics are the driver for most computer games these days - no server will be able to run crysis to even 2 clients much less 10,000. And of course Rahr is right - without the uk's infrastructure receiving some heavy investment, it will be shit. Content Delivery is where its at - just look at steam! 2 years I'm predicting most major PC releases will not have a physical copy

MadmaN

very good points! i wish they would release the dam thing so i could try it out lol.

Top Bottom