Recommend me a graphics card!

Eklipze3k

I've got a pretty old machine, but it still runs most games quite well so not really seeing any reason to upgrade the majority of the system just yet. However, I'm running 2 screens and want to get a 3rd and I know my 9800GT isn't capable of doing 3 so want something new. It needs to be under £100 and on par with (if not better than) the 9800GT so that I can keep it if/when I finally get around to upgrading the rest of my system.

If needed I'll add my system specs, but as I'm at work and my memory is abysmal that'll have to wait until I get home! ;)

Olleran

Nvidia cards dont support 3 monitors on their own you will need 2 Nvidia cards for doing that. I may be wrong but I think ATI cards can support 3 monitors, so Id say ATI

Eklipze3k

I'm thinking ATI for that very reason, something with dual DVI and a Displayport (or t'other way around) would be ideal, but it's finding something in budget. The component world is not one I keep up with anywhere near as much as I used to so I'm a little out of touch as to what's good, how things compare, etc. I'm looking at an HD7750 on ebay at the moment, but I can't work out how it stacks up performance wise with the 9800GT.

Edit: This one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261072114941?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Eklipze3k

I don't mind if it doesn't run optimally, I will be upgrading everything else at some point so really all I need is a card that doesn't cost the earth, will run on my current system, and supports 3 monitors. ATI seems to be the way forward, speaking to Cerro on facebook the 7750 may be slightly better than the 9800GT, a 6850 or 7770 would be even better it just whether I can make my budget stretch to either of them ....

Eklipze3k

The pruchase of the 3rd monitor fell through so it's a moot point anyway, but appreciate the assistance anyway folks :)

Eklipze3k

Nowt wrong with nVidia, though given a choice I'd still own a 3Dfx, wonder what Voodoo model they'd be upto these days if they were still being made ...

Eklipze3k

So having forced myself into an upgrade of motherboard, CPU and RAM (by being stupid and killing the SATA controller on my old one - long story!) I've decided to go with an Asus 7770. Seems like a good price, unless someone knows of an equivalent beast for less ;) Got my eye on a 3rd monitor again on ebay, so will just need the DP adaptors for 2 of them and I'll be golden :D

.AC.

It's probably for the best you had to upgrade your cpu. If you saw Amesy running Blur on his machine at the lan, he was running a 6950 with an am2 cpu/board and the performance was laughably bad, same for me with an old 4870...

Personally i would go for the older 6850. Its both cheaper and performs better than the 7770 according to few reviews.

Eklipze3k

Part of the reason for the graphics upgrade though is to allow me to use 3 screen, the only 6850 I can find cheaper does have 3 outputs, but one is VGA and I really want all 3 to be digital. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
It's probably for the best you had to upgrade your cpu. If you saw Amesy running Blur on his machine at the lan, he was running a 6950 with an am2 cpu/board and the performance was laughably bad, same for me with an old 4870...

Personally i would go for the older 6850. Its both cheaper and performs better than the 7770 according to few reviews.

It can't have been thaaat bad? Blur runs fine for me?

Top Bottom