Speedtest.net now have Aberdeen Server!!!

MadmaN

Yeh just noticed that speedtest.net now have a server in Aberdeen .. this is great news for us in scotland to test our connections :)

26ms ping ... you guys should get alot lower?

Sweeper128

I don't know what it is about Newtonhill...

Actually - WTF is with the distance? Pretty sure I'm about 10 miles away from the Server.

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Your connection comes out wherever your ISP's point of presence is :) PS my speed test was shite to IFB and excellent to the london servers. Funny that since my ISP is peered with linx!

A company I used to work for, used to use IFB - they ain't all that if you get me! :)

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
I knew ISPs point to a distance away, but 200 miles seems a bit silly to me.

Not really when you connect to your local phone exchange via a phone line, and your adsl signal is filtered off your line at the exchange by the DSLAM, which is then hauled back over BT's ATM network to their home gateway. From there is transferred via your ISP's VPN to their network and out onto the internet.

PS Speedtest probably uses information in the RIPE database with regard to location of your "IP" to calculate your distance from the test server. If the block of IP's is issued to a data centre in manchester then manchester is where it'll say you are :)

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
752784083.png

Ok yes, Thats slightly slow for this connection :p

Nah, That's my connection from school, I'll try the home connection when I get on tonight

ZeroG

753167992.png

This is my home connection. Best speed I have ever gotten. ADSL24 recently moved from Entanet to MurphX and it seems to be better speeds, let's hope it stays that way.

BlitzThose

no point me testing mine ive been capped during peak for the next month, due to my downloading addiction, 200gb so far this month :p

MadmaN

some of you have forgot to change it to aberdeen for the test lol ... if you run the test 2 or 3 times sometimes 1 of the tests can come out good.

Top Bottom