System build advice please!

MadmaN

Memory support
4 x 240 pin slots, supports 3+1 channel configuration (Triple Channel)
Supports DDR3-1066/1333 SDRAM memory
Supports DDR3-1600 in overclocking mode *)
Max. 4 GB per DIMM,* up to a total size of 16 GB
Warning: DIMMs with voltage over 1.65V may damage your CPU.*
Shuttle recommends you install the DIMMs with voltage setting below 1.6V.

should i buy the fastet ram and put in oc mode?

and i need to buy ram with low voltage?

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
Good news that you are going for a new machine :) But Core i7 stuff is very pricey.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-151-OC

Perfect Match. Combine that with a 2.6Ghz QuadCore i7, GTX 260 and 1Tb hard drive, you should have an awesome futureproof gaming shuttle.

If the PSU can handle it.

***EDIT***

Overclock nothing. Without high end watercooling and a really stable high end propperly cooled power supply you will have nothing but trouble.

Negator

Imo it really is a waste of money going to i7 if you are looking at making a gaming rig. i7 is not worth the extra cost over phenom II systems when looking at gaming. Especially in a shuttle where you won't be running crossfire/SLI graphics the processor is not going to be the bottleneck in the system.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=927556 + pII cpu + 4890 (or gtx 275) + 4gig ram (Assuming you only have 2 ram slots) would be far better value. At the moment mATX am3 boards aren't around but its not much of a difference with the am2+ boards and ddr2, mainly just saves some cash.

Or build yourself a mATX based system (rather than shuttle) using http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Silv...Small-Form-Factor-case-in-black-WIndowed-RoHS

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
That will produce a SERIOUS system.

Thing is though I think you will have a problem with the PSU that comes with the shuttle.

Alone, my GTX 260's want a 680W PSU. Together they want a 800W (dont ask how that works)

Either way I think you will have problems fitting that setup on that PSU.

If you are looking at a serious build of that scale. May I suggest going for a much more powerful PSU. Or you could go down the traditional tower route where £1.5k will buy you a really top machine. Even if it isnt as portable as a shuttle.

Negator

I still think you should go with Phenom II over i7 and with the £200-300 saved instantly on the mobo/cpu combo put some money into a decent spec SSD. I can understand if you are going to do a lot of workstation-esque stuff that the premiun of the i7 is justifed, but for gaming it just isn't. That and for fun two 4890's will come in about £50 cheaper than the 295 for the same sort of performance (or buy one 4890 or gtx 260 and wait for the dx11 cards to come out in a couple of months).

MadmaN

i wont be spending anytime soon anyway... so i have time to wait and see what comes out :)

i am going to email shuttle and ask them if the psu would handle it... tho i am sure i read somewhere it would.

MadmaN

would prefer this cpu - Intel Core i7 965 3.20Ghz (Nehalem) Extreme Edition

but the price is ouch! lol. is extream edition ment to be better for gaming? its been so long since I last upgarded and so i'm abit behind with the new shit lol.

this will be my first intel cpu for like 8 years lol

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
Don't bother with the super fastest of processors. Look at the price of them on OCUK.

The cheapest i7 Core is £208.99 including heatsink. That runs at 2.66GHz
The one you linked to is £445.99 including heatsink, and that runs at 3.06GHz

Ask yourself, is it really worth £237 for an extra 400MHz ?

Nope. Not by a long shot.

And with regards to the graphics card I still am not convinced. I honestly do not believe that information to be correct.

My GTX 260's demanded MUCH more power than that PSU can handle. There is no way a 290 can be run on a 500W PSU. It is just quite simply not possable. If you don't believe me, then contact OCUK yourself and ask them the details of the minnimum power requirements for that card. I can guarentee you they will be significantly more than 500W, JUST for that card.

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
I can vouch that a 295 will not be able to run on a 500W - my 8800GT card wants 500W, and its a single slot card, and quite a lot less powerful than the 295, youre gonna need a bigger psu to handle the 295.

Top Bottom