System won't POST after Vista SP1 install

Xyphious

Right, got me a very frustrating system problem.

I’ve been running XP SP3 for ages and decided to upgrade to Vista 64 bit to take advantage of DX10 and my 64 bit processor, installed vista a-ok, got my apps and drivers installed, did a few reboots.

Then I installed SP1 via auto updates, I rebooted and my memory stick was left in the USB port, windows decided this needed a check disk run so I left it….2 hours later it was stuck on the same file so I made the fair assumption it’d crashed so I hit the magic button and then turned it back on but it wouldn’t POST, just gave me a black screen and that’s all I’ve been getting ever since
I’ve tried to remedy the problem by doing the following:

Disconnecting everything except PSU, GPU & HDD and only left 1 RAM stick in

Tried single RAM stick in another slot

Tried GPU in different slot

Tried 3 different BIO’s revisions (I have spare chips laying around)

Reset the CMOS (even left the battery out for 10 mins to ensure it was clear)

Help!

Sys specs:

Asus P5N32-E SLI
4GB Corsair RAM
Powercolor Radeon 4850 1Gb Edition
Antek 800w PSU

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Uhhhh :(

If you pull out all the ram, do you get the "no ram installed" beep beep beep beep beep beep beep?

If not, are you sure your pc speaker is connected?

If it is, then I vote for either a PSU problem or your board is dead :(

Xyphious

Uhhhh :(

If you pull out all the ram, do you get the "no ram installed" beep beep beep beep beep beep beep?

If not, are you sure your pc speaker is connected?

If it is, then I vote for either a PSU problem or your board is dead :(

Cheers for the quick reply, got me a PSU tester at home so i'll have to fire that up when i'm back from work.

Really hope it ain't a dead MoBo, that'd suck so bad!

I'm just wondering what killed it as its been fine for a while now, it seems like to big a coincidence that it dies when i installed Vista, hmmmm. Shoulda stuck with XP :confused:

Xyphious

Sry i didn't answer your question about the beeps.

The speaker was left out of my system so i'm going to have to take a run to PC world later and see if they have one kicking around, god i hate PC world!

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
uggg, p5n32-e
have the same motherboard here, and when i first built my system it wouldnt post at all.

try taking mobo out of the case, and removing everything from it except the processor and it's fan, if you hear it post, then it may be your gfx card not seated properly.

Hopefully that will help

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
hmm, cant edit it, but this should be in there
the power supply should still be connected when you only have the cpu in, and connect the case's power button so you can try turning it on then see if you hear it post

Xyphious

Thanks for the info man, this mobo has been nothing but a royal pain wish i had the cash to get a new one tbh!

contacted my desktop support team here at work to try and score a free 4-pin speaker so hopefully they'll sort that by the end of the day then i'll test, strip down and see what the hell is up with the infernal machine!

Castiana

Soon™
If you're looking for new board, I have one for sale in the "Sale" forum :)

Good luck with it tho, everyone's already suggested what I would have!

gemini

The Crude One
Staff member
I have one of these boards and can confirm they are atrocious garbage.

It doesnt work when I have 4 sticks of ram in there, only when there are 3. And its not just one socket thats dodgey, it doesnt matter what socket the fourth stick isnt in.

The mobo also likes to randomly lose hard drives which can only be refound by unplugging the computer, getting inside it, then disconnecting and reconnecting the hard drive cables (absolutely nothing wrong with them to begin with)

You already seem to have gone through everything I would suggest. Perhaps try to clear the cmos again using the cmos jumper.

Other than that, I personally would use it as an excuse to buy a new pc. I'm looking for an excuse to do just that atm.

Xyphious

Sorted it, twas playing silly buggers.

Left the CMOS battery out for 10 mins then fired it up. Lost my sweet spot overclocked settings which sucks but could always be worse, at least its booted!

Just gotta hope it stay stable now, got the rest of the updates coming down at the mo so its in the hands of fate. Gotta mess with the bios settings later to get everything back on form.

Gemini, cheers for the post. These boards to royally suck, ain't had the probs you've had but mine has been a nightmare! BIOS updates loosing secondary GPU's & creative sound cards, needing to buy new BIOS online due to non-POST after updates (thought thats what this one was gonna be!) and all sorts of crashes, quirks and mysteries.

At least it lets me keep my tech support skills brushed up :rolleyes:

ZeroG

Trying to update Vista doesn't help. I tried to update my dad's pc to Vista SP1 but when it rebooted it was running through some file check or something and kept getting stuck. Had to revert back to the pre-install checkpoint.

Xyphious

Trying to update Vista doesn't help. I tried to update my dad's pc to Vista SP1 but when it rebooted it was running through some file check or something and kept getting stuck. Had to revert back to the pre-install checkpoint.

Well mine looks like it was a mobo issue hopefully i'll be ok from here on in, seeing as this is my first real foray into Vista i'm sure i'm gonna have oodles of fun trying to get everything up and running.

It seems to be running fairly smoothly to be honest, i can feel its more responsive than XP was and loads alot quicker but i've only been getting the setup done and haven't even had a chance to test any games yet. Lookin forward to the DX10 goodness :D

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
oh, losing creative sound cards?
that would explain some things, maybe just enough to warrant buying a new mobo then...

Xyphious

oh, losing creative sound cards?
that would explain some things, maybe just enough to warrant buying a new mobo then...

Well it was a bios update that nailed the third PCI-E port last time, they said it only affected SLi cards but it seems to take out anything in the slot.
After getting everything working perfectly and enjoying Vista i noticed the HDD holding all my game backups kept disappearing! Never had this once before but its another new quirk i guess. Shifted it from the 4th to the 5th SATA port and i seem to have some stability now, fingers crossed....

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
well, my card - the sb audigy - is pci, and that causes windows xp to bsod when i try to use it, in either of the pci slots
and the thing is, the card works in the brothers pc...
but i have decided to go out and buy an asus xonar card sometime in the next few weeks, so hopefully that will cure the problems

Top Bottom