The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Castiana

Soon™
Thanks to all for attending BreachLAN #38! We hope to improve our LAN's as time goes on, and to do so, we need some feedback from you, our community. Please leave any feedback in the traditional GBU style.

We hope to see you at BreachLAN #39!

Niko

Battle of the Bands:
Absolutely amazing sound/light setup this time, kudos Gemini. The larger music library was appreciated, even if it was a bit of a pain to find stuff. It was also good that so many people took part and were giving it their all. Already looking forward to next time. One downside that I did notice was the positioning of the screens on-stage - bands end up staring down at their feet, looking a bit depressed. Might be worth seeing how viable it would be to use the projector on the far wall?

Music:
Letting us cue up our own music instead of having to request tracks was a great idea, and I think it worked well. While there were measures in place for quality control the biggest drawback was that people were adding a bunch of stuff to the queue at once, often leaving us subjected to one person's taste for a pretty substantial time. Not sure if this can be avoided without relying on self-control, and asking people to only add a few songs at a time. I also think that there should be a balance between the jukebox format and the usual way - having a good, coherent playlist at times is good too.

BreachLAN Quiz:
This was a great idea and was executed well, as a proof of concept it definitely worked. However, the questions for the most part felt very basic - as a room of gamers I think we can go for things a bit less-known. It also felt very short, but I'm guessing this was because it was just testing the waters. Next time I think it could benefit from:
- More rounds of questions, with varied bonus rounds between them. The blurred characters round was a good idea, more like that between the question rounds would be good. I've also seen pub quizzes with silly gameshow-style challenges for bonus points/bonus prizes, might be good to work something like that in?
- Tougher questions, or start easy and escalate in difficulty as the rounds progress.
- Primetime slot, maybe just before a big game. Also if possible MC from the stage, and have teams formed (more or less) from their rows? It was a bit cramped and hard to communicate with team members at the far end of the hall. This timeslot + running it from the stage will make the quiz more of a big event

Misc feedback:
+ Vive - seems like an ideal chance to show off the Vive, always fun to see people experiencing VR for the first time, as well as seeing a bunch of cool games/experiences I hadn't seen before
+ New faces and high-turnout, last couple of LANs have felt a bit quieter than usual.
- Big games were a bit sparse.
- Not much in the way of timetabling - it's good to know when the bigger events are happening to plan around them, however it felt like most of the events were announced shortly before they started.
- The heat. DEAR GOD THE HEAT.
- Not many projector games - these went down really well last time, and it's always good to get people together away from their PCs.

Overall, it was a great LAN. Really struggling to suggestions for next time.

10/10, would LAN.

Last edited:

Draethas

The music queuing was great, but maybe add a limit of 3 or 5 songs at a time from the same ip or something so people don't flood it.

Rock band contest was awesome, really well organised as well. I was able to take part, despite being one of said newbies and barely knowing anyone.

As it's been said before, a few more big games would have been nice. On the topic of smaller games, getting a group of people together to play something wasn't easy; maybe a lanwide chat room next time would help?

I cannot possibly say enough about the community/members. Without a doubt, the nicest group of people I have met, very welcoming and made the entire experience that much better as a newcomer.

Overall, a brilliant LAN and one of the most enjoyable and worthwhile events I've been to this year, so you can bet I'll be back for #39!

Top Bottom