"Windows kernel drivers stopped responding but have recovered"

Olleran

Hello,

I post this because I have made no progress in solving the problem myself. Basicly when playing games (or ideling on desktop less commonly) the display will freeze and after 2 secounds go back, now from here it does one of three things:

1. Screen remains black (and sound sometimes loops) untill I Ctrl, Alt, Delete.
2. Screen stays black even after Ctrl ALt Delete and sometimes (more offten with source games tbc) changes the size of the window and has to be closed through task manager.
3. Freezes totally and I have to do a hard shutdown. After I do this it gives me the option to start in safe mode, if I dont Windows fails to boot and I am offered system repair. This always fails and I have to do a system image restore.

I used to have a Geforce GTX 460 and it happened then, recently I got a GTX 560 Ti CUII (thinking this would solve the problem, it didnt)

After hunting round I found that it may be a Windows TDR problem but thats as far as I got noone knew how to get around that and after some one said this most threads decended in insults and guff.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Deep Blue

The BOFH
Staff member
Have you reinstalled windows recently? It is worth considering doing!

Have you tried disabling your anti virus? This can cause strange issues too.

Make sure your windows is fully up to date and make sure you have also installed your latest chipset drivers.

Kinda clutching at straws here but it's food for thought!

Olleran

Thanks,

Right Ive reinstalled Windows about four times, I had AVG when I first built the computer and it hapened then now I have AVAST! Ill have to try turnning it off altogether, as for chipset drivers Ill go and update also sometimes my windows doesnt boot after I instal updates (Like what happened with Vista) but ill go try that aswell.

ZeroG

One of the most common tests to do as well is check the ram with Memtest. Faulty ram can throw up lots of weird and wonderful errors and symptoms.

Skull

Thou Shalt Not Pass
When running memtest, make sure to let it run for a good few hours, just to make sure its stable

coob

*looks disapprovingly*
i believe olleran has ran it through the night, as memtest was what i reccomended, it didnt throw up any errors as far as i can remember...

ZeroG

Go through all your drivers are make sure they are up to date. Also, it may be a long shot, but check to see if your bios is up to date. I can sometimes be worth updating if you know how and there's been a lot of fixes.

I had a problem with my laptop recently with a conflict between new drivers and an older graphics bios so I had to update the graphics bios.

Olleran

Ok I ran mem test to 130% with no errors.

Its also worth noting that after instaling the newest chipset drivers and bios (not bios utillites) when playing Assassin's Creed it sometimes freezes but never hangs and it always recovers itself.

Ive only played a short while so Im not getting my hopes up.

ZeroG

I had pretty much those same symptoms you describe above and I sorted it with what I put in my last post.

Olleran

Right Assassin's Creed hasnt crashed minecraft still does because of something done with the Open GL dependency.

Also Ive had no TDR's on SPAZ or other games.

I think its sorted at long last! Ill update if it happens again.

Olleran

Ive been looking about and I found there is three main suggested reasons for my problem, in order of most common,

1. It's the GPU/CPU over heating.

2. Its a windows TDR (wheter its mainly windows or nvidia causing the issue I dont know)

3. My card just can't handle games when the graphics are turnned up.

coob

*looks disapprovingly*
i would say 3 is out, test the like of l4d2 on the lowest settings too make sure, but im pretty sure a gtx560ti can handle it on make with at least 4X AA

Olleran

Also I checked and GPU never goes above 49 in game.

Its most likely 2 but theres no fix, that I can find.

And does anyone know a good way to check CPU temperature?

Olleran

I found something I hadnt tried on a form, so I tried it....

Was just playing Assassins Creed at max setting, I know for a fact that it sometimes crashes and it didnt except one black screen hang but it might be the game(fingers crossed) so I cant get the CPU temp on crash but if it never crashes Im fine with that.

Again I'll update if it happens again.

Olleran

No, it hasn't worked.

EDIT: That was with changing the 3D on nvidia control pannel. Now Ive changed the reggistry.

As always Il update if it doesn't work.

Top Bottom