X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Issue

ZeroG

Hey folks

I finally got around to getting a new soundcard today. Bought a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer soundcard with some new Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers. Got home and installed the card and speakers, which went fine, and then installed the drivers and programmes for the card.

However I have come across a very annoying problem. When running tests on the sound I find that there is no sound coming out of the front left speaker. All the other speakers are working fine. I tried swapping the speaker into a different position on the sub woofer and I get sound out of it so the speaker itself isn't faulty.

I've updated the drivers and software and been through the KB on this site and did some searches but I couldn't find anything that matched my problem. I've been fiddling about with the different options in the software and I can't seem to get it all working together.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I could be going wrong ?

ZeroG

I'm not quite sure how I would test for a faulty card. I could test the setup in another pc, but of course I don't have one of those. I'm thinking the connection on the sub woofer could be faulty but I'm not sure how I would test that either. All I know is that the speaker is working cause I've put it in another connection and it gets sound.

ZeroG

Well this is Pc World we are talking about :roll: They don't tend to take stuff back just on a whim when you say it doesn't work.

But I emailed Creative last night and had a response this morning. They said to try out other speakers on the card to see if I can get sound out each speaker. I don't know why I didn't think of this last night but I can use my old surround sound speakers, although they are only 4.1 and not 5.1. This way I could possibly rule out the sound card as being faulty. But then again 4.1 might work and 5.1 not work. Don't think PC World would let me borrow a new soundcard/speakers to test :)

ZeroG

I've tried returning something to pc world before, few years ago now, and they wouldn't accept it if it wasn't proven to be faulty.

I popped in past to get my bank card back today and spoke to someone on the help desk. They said it's possible the left front speaker connection on the sub woofer is faulty and they could try replacing it. I'd only want to do that once I've exhausted my other options as if the next one was the same they talked about taking the pc in to test other sound cards and such which I don't want to have to do.

ZeroG

Returned the speakers today and got a new set. These ones are working fine so it looks as though it was the sub woofer connection all along.

Top Bottom